Friday, February 26, 2010

Feeling S.A.D.?

Seasonal Affective Disorder is a type of depression that occurs the same time every year. It can start from the fall months and go all the way through the winter into March. For me, I know I feel much different at this time of year when the light and warmth leave and is replaced by the dark and coldness of winter. I don't have as much energy or motivation and can feel out of sorts and even irritable.

There are quite a few remedies for S.A.D. Light therapy or light boxes seem to be a traditional way. Some people may even go to a tanning bed to get the light and vitamin D their body is craving. While I haven't tried those and do not recommend a tanning bed, per se, I have tried simpler methods, like eating foods that perk me up a bit, like oranges or grapefruit. Something about the smell of citrus wakes me up. But you can also turn to your yoga practice as well.

Restorative yoga poses, while sounding too restful, actually can help with S.A.D. They allow you to go deeper and offer benefits in a much subtler way. And they calm the nervous system. Try holding these poses in a supportive way for 5-20 minutes. Combine this practice with breathwork and meditation, and you'll have a powerful tool to manage depression at this time of year.

Below are some links for more information for S.A.D. and some restorative yoga poses to try.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/seasonal-affective-disorder/DS00195

http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/finder/browse_categories/restorative

Blessings,
Susan

1 comment:

jindi said...

thanks For this beautiful blog. You described very well about the yoga. You said right that I to know that Yoga not only helps us to keep the body fit and healthy yoga basics